A wooden structure across the road from what is now Dean’s Way on Rte. 88. It was accidentally burned in 1950 after a half century of disuse.
On Tuttle Road diagonally across from the Tuttle Road Methodist Church. It became a private residence in 1950, and remains so today. Prior to 1854, District 2 was at the south corner of Harris Road and Tuttle Road - it was moved by oxen.
Now the location of the Cumberland Historical Society. Original school was a wooden structure across the street from the current #3. It burned and in 1853 the new #3 was built of bricks. In 1952 the 1853 building became the Town Office, then the Police Department and is now the Cumberland Historical Society.
Former student’s description of the school:
Explanation of discipline through the school system:
Shawtown School - now J. Brothers Store
Gurney School, was moved from its original location at the junction of Skillin Road and Blanchard Road to the westerly side of Skillin Road. It became a private residence, and stood until a few years ago when it burned. The building was used as Brenda Sherwin’s day care until it burned; no picture available.
Springbrook Farm area
Brick school house at the corner of Winn Road and Range Road. Built in 1846. (Listed on the National Register of Historic Places)
Excerpt from “Maine: An Encyclopedia”: This 1846 building was a rural district school built by the Town of Cumberland. It is one of only two known surviving one-room, brick, Greek Revival schoolhouses in Maine, the other, also in Cumberland, has been substantially altered. The Winn Road building ceased functioning as a school in the early 20th century.
Little remains of the its original interior, but a sloping floor, allowing a teacher to keep an eye on students, remained in 1983. The building was sold in the late 20th century with a preservation easement requiring maintenance of the facade and prohibiting demolition.
What it looks like now:
Now Chebeague Island Community House
on Chebeague, no picture available
Hope Island, no picture available
Crotch Island – now Cliff Island, no picture available.
On what is now Blackstrap Road across from West Cumberland Methodist Church Cemetery; no picture available.
Now a private residence on Bruce Hill Road at the fork in the road with Pleasant Valley Road; no picture available.
Stave, Bates and Ministerial Islands; no picture available.
Created in 1838 when Districts 2 and 3 were closed.