The Cumberland Lands and Conservation Commission in 2022 formed a Sustainability Subcommittee ("SSC") to continue and expand upon the work of the Climate Action Plan Subcommittee. The CAPS had been formed in 2019 for a two year term to create a Climate Action Plan for Cumberland with a goal of reducing greenhouse gas emission by 2050 by 100% from a 2015 baseline. That work has now been completed. The SSC will monitor and support the implementation of the Climate Action Plan. In addition it will promote a Sustainable Cumberland including energy conservation, environmental stewardship, food security and community resilience.
To learn more:
- Sustainability Subcommittee Charter
- Phase I CAP Recommendations
- Cumberland's Blue is going Green
- Letter to the Editor: Change Landscaping to reduce carbon
- Phase II CAP Recommendations 2022
- Climate Action Progress Report - 2022
- Be Part of the Solutions - 3 Actions You Can Take
One of most impactful actions of Phase II CAP is Sustainable Landscaping. We ask that our residents consider reducing the size of their mown lawns in favor of a natural landscape based on native trees, shrubs and ground cover. This approach benefits pollinators, birds and other wildlife. It also sequesters more greenhouse gas emissions. Click here for a helpful brief article and here for an in-depth video.