Marriage LicenseCongratulations on your upcoming nuptials! To obtain a marriage license from the Town Clerk’s Office you must complete the Marriage Intentions prior to coming into our office. This form is rather extensive and needs to be filled out completely. The intentions form must be signed in the presence of a Clerk so please leave the signature section blank.
Give our office a call ahead of time (207-829-5559) so we know when you will be stopping by, because the process can take up to 30 minutes. Please note that both individuals must be present to obtain the marriage license.
What You Need to Bring:
- Completed Marriage Intentions
- Photo Identification
- If previously married, a certified copy of divorce decree or death certificate of former spouse
- $40 check (made payable to Town of Cumberland)
Important Things To Know
- *NEW Legislation* - (September 2019) The new language in law will require parties who plan to get married in Maine to provide their proposed new name(s) on the marriage intention application, marriage license and certificate if the parties intend to change their name(s) upon marriage. Parties who do not wish to change their name may leave the field blank or provide their current legal name. The parties new name(s) will become effective upon once the marriage record has been registered in the Electronic Marriage Registration System (EMRS).
- Maine residents must file their intentions in the town/city that one of them resides in.
- If both parties reside outside of Maine, they can file their intentions in any municipal office.
- The license will expire within 90 days of issuance
After the officiant returns the signed marriage license to the Town Clerk's Office, you may obtain certified copies of your marriage certificate.
- The fee is $15.00 for the first copy and $6.00 for every consecutive copy.
- Certificates can be obtained in person or by sending a completed Marriage Request Form, a copy of your photo ID, and a check payable to the Town of Cumberland. (Town Clerk’s Office, 290 Tuttle Road,Cumberland, ME 04021). Once your request is received, it will be processed, and mailed back.