A marriage license may be obtained from the Town Clerk’s Office. Please note that the marriage intentions form is rather extensive and needs to be filled out completely. Completion of the marriage intentions prior to coming into the Town Office will greatly expedite the process. Please give our office a call ahead of time (207-829-5559) so we know when you will be stopping by, because the process can take up to 30 minutes.
Filing Your Intetions & Obtaining Your Marriage License
- Bring photo identification when filing your intetions.
- Maine residents must file their intentions in the town/city that one of them resides in.
- If both parties reside outside of Maine, they can file their intentions in any municipal office.
- For persons previously married, a certified copy of the most recent divorce decree or death certificate of the former spouse will be needed at the time of the application.
- BOTH parties must sign the marriage intentions in the presence of the Clerk before the license is released.
- Upon issuance of the marriage license, the parties may marry anywhere within the State of Maine. The license will expire within 90 days of issuance.
- The fee to obtain a marriage license is $40.
Obtaining Your Marriage Certificate
- After the officiant returns the signed marriage license to the Town Clerk's Office, you may obtain certified copies of your marriage certificate.
- The fee is $15.00 for the first copy and $6.00 for every consecutive copy.
- Certificates can be obtained in person or by sending a completed Marriage Request Form, a copy of your photo ID, and a check payable to the Town of Cumberland. (Town Clerk’s Office, 290 Tuttle Road,Cumberland, ME 04021). Once your request is received, it will be processed, and mailed back.