The Town of Cumberland is now accepting applications for a full time Deputy Town Clerk/ Excise Tax Collection Agent.
This is a varied clerical position serving as both an Excise Tax Collection Agent and Deputy Town Clerk reporting directly to the Town Clerk. The employee is responsible for receiving and recording funds for the collection of various excise taxes and fees generated through the registration of automobiles, boats and other vehicles. The Deputy Town Clerk will also collect and process real estate taxes and learn the real estate tax lien process. The employee is also responsible for assisting the Town Clerk with activities such as elections, voter registration, issuing vital records and licenses. The Deputy Clerk will assume the Town Clerk’s duties in the Town Clerk’s absence, including supervision of department staff.
Work is performed with considerable independence under the general supervision of the Town Clerk. Work is reviewed through discussion, reports and results achieved.
Requirements of Work/Essential Functions
- Knowledge of business English, spelling, and business math. Ability to perform standard arithmetic computations.
- Considerable knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and equipment.
- Ability to acquire Maine Notary Public designation.
- Ability to rapidly learn the operation of the Town’s computer systems for automobile registration, excise taxation and for the functions of the Town Clerk’s office.
- Ability to acquire a working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Windows.
- Ability to rapidly acquire considerable knowledge of administrative, operational, and procedural regulations and practices of the various departments.
- Ability to keep varied records, to assemble and organize data, and to prepare standard reports from such records.
- Ability to deal courteously with the public and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees.
- Ability to express oneself in such a way that one is readily and clearly understood, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to arrange or deal with tasks in order of importance.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to hear within three feet and on the telephone.
- Ability to lift, push and pull objects weighing up to 25
Please submit the employment application with cover letter and resume to the Town of Cumberland Human Resources (mail, fax or email):
Brenda Moore, Human Resources Director
Town of Cumberland
290 Tuttle Road
Cumberland, ME 04021
(207) 829-2224 (fax)