The Town of Cumberland is accepting applications for one full-time patrol officer. We seek candidates who possess impeccable credentials, are of the highest moral character, and have the personal and philosophical desire and drive to serve our community. We believe that our most important organizational asset is our personnel, and we have high expectations of our patrol officers and police department.
Cumberland is a suburban/rural community of 26 square miles which stretches west from Casco Bay toward the Lakes region. Over 8,100 people call Cumberland home, along with the Cumberland County Fair and the MSAD 51 school system. The Cumberland Police Department is engaged in our community and strives to serve the common good. Advanced officer training and education in public safety is encouraged and offered to meet the community’s needs. The Department utilizes modern tools, equipment, and vehicles to fulfill its mission. The Town supplies all required patrol uniforms, equipment, and protective gear.
The Town of Cumberland offers competitive wages and an excellent benefit package, along with a true lateral entry option commensurate with experience. Officers work a 10-hour day, 4 on/3 off workweek. Shifts are bid by quarterly rotation. The starting hourly pay for this position is $25.86 to $32.46 depending on years served. You can view the Cumberland Police Department wage scale here.
- Retirement plan options, including MePERS 25 year, 2/3 salary, no age limit plan
- Options for health, vision, dental, and short-term disability insurance
- Emphasis on officer well-being, including paid visits with LEO specialized LCSW
- Paid vacation time, sick time, holidays, and personal days
- Reimbursement for higher education, gym membership, and firearms range membership
- Stipends are offered for higher education degrees, specialty training, physical fitness, emergency medical licensure ($2.50 per hour), and more!
- Opportunities for advancement and specialized trainings include supervisory roles, detective, tactical team member, various instructor positions, harbormaster, school resource officer, and more!
Interested candidates must be at least 21 years of age, possess a high school diploma or G.E.D, hold a valid Class C (or above) Maine driver's license, and must have an Associate's Degree (or 60 college credits) or equivalent work/military history. For applicants who have not completed the MCJA Basic Law Enforcement Training Program, a minimum score of 50 is required on the MCJA ALERT, as well as completion of the MCJA Physical Agility Test (PAT) at the 40th percentile or above. Please contact the Maine Criminal Justice Academy for details on the ALERT test and the PAT.
Preference will be given to candidates who are certified law enforcement officers or have completed the MCJA Pre-Service Training Program. Candidates who have made the final selection will be required to successfully complete an oral board assessment, physical agility test, polygraph examination, psychological assessment and a thorough criminal and motor vehicle background investigation. Annual fitness-for-duty evaluations and participation in the Town’s wellness program are mandatory for all officers.
The Town of Cumberland is an EEO Employer
Dedication – Respect – Integrity – Vigilance – Excellence – Nobility