The special waste events are right around the corner - don't miss Bulky Item Pickup, Confidential Shredding, or Universal Waste Collection!
- Bulky Item Pickup - October 10th-14th
- Confidential Shredding - October 1st from 9am-1pm (23 Drowne Road, Public Works Garage)
- Universal Waste Collection - October 8th from 9am-1pm (23 Drowne Road, Public Works Garage)
- Hazardous Household Waste Collection will not be offered this fall.
All questions should be directed to the Public Works Department at 207-829-2220 or by emailing Laura. See below for more information on each event!
Bulky Item Pickup Week
Bulky Item Pickup was designed to assist the residents of Cumberland in the disposal of large, oversized items that cannot fit into the green trash bags during weekly trash/recycling collection.
- If an item, or group of items, fits in a town trash bag, the material is not considered a bulky item and will not be collected.
- Bulky items will be picked up on your regular trash collection day.
- Only residential waste is accepted - no commercial trash is permitted.
- Items not accepted curbside may be taken to Riverside Recycling in Portland for a fee.
- Please consider donating any items that are in new or gently used condition:
|Items Accepted||Items NOT Accepted|
|Bathroom Fixtures||No wood products (i.e. pallets, picnic tables, fencing)|
|Box Springs||No appliances containing freon (i.e. fridge, freezer, or air conditioners)|
Washers & Dryers
|No brush, construction, demolition, remodeling debris|
|Carpets||No Hazardous Waste|
|Chairs||No propane tanks|
|Dressers||No windows/glass items|
|Bicycles||No yard/tree waste|
|Large Metal Items||No liquid waste|
|Oversized plastic toys||No plastic bags/boxes of small items|
|Recliners||No tires with rims|
|Sofas||No computers, monitors, or TV's|
|Stoves||No fluorescent lightbulbs|
|2 Tires without rims|
Paint cans (open + dried out)
October 1st from 9am-1pm (23 Drowne Road, Public Works Garage)
Bring them to the Public Works Garage where they will be shredded in your presence. We will ask that you take your containers, bags and boxes home with you for curbside disposal. This event is for residential paperwork only, no commercial business.
Universal Waste Collection
October 8th from 9am-1pm (23 Drowne Road, Public Works Garage)
This is a free event for Cumberland residents. The following items may be brought for disposal:
|These are the only items that will be accepted this year:|
|Telephones Any electronic cords or connecters|
|Fluorescent bulbs Batteries|
|Speakers Game Consoles|
|VCR/DVD players Digital Clocks|
Freon containing devices like air conditioners, microwave ovens and mini fridges will not be accepted. Please do not bring items prior to 9am on the day of the event.