•Homestead Exemption Application
The homestead exemption provides a reduction of up to $25,000 in the value of your home for property tax purposes. To qualify, you must be a permanent resident of Maine, the home must be your permanent residence, you must have owned a home in Maine for the twelve months prior to applying and an application must be filed on or before April 1 with the municipality where the property is located. The exemption applies to any residential property that is assessed as real property. 

Application for Veterans Exemption

Application for Widow, Minor Child, or Widowed Parent of a Veteran

Generally, veterans who have reached the age of 62 and who have served in a federally recognized war period, as well as 100% disabled veterans, qualify for an exemption of $6,000 (adjusted by the community’s ratio of valuation to actual market sales). The widow, minor child or widowed parent of a veteran may qualify for  this exemption as well. Proof of service and discharge, such as a copy of their DD214, is required. Deadline for filing of application is April 1. Contact the Assessor’s office at 829-2204 for additional information.

Blind Exemption Application
People who have been declared legally blind by their physician are entitled to an exemption up to $4,000. Deadline for filing application is April 1. Contact the Assessor’s Office at 829-2204 for additional information.

Renewable Energy Investment Exemption -This program exempts non-commercial renewable energy equipment, such as solar panels, from property tax beginning April 1, 2020. Taxpayers must apply for the credit by April 1 of the first year the exemption is requested.

The Town cannot grant real estate tax exemptions or tax reductions to selected properties. Article 9 section 9 of the State constitution states that “the legislature shall never, in any manner, suspend or surrender the power of taxation”. Only the legislature can add or remove rules for real estate taxation. The State does, however, provide a few avenues for reducing one’s taxes such as the Tree Growth program or the Farm and Open Space program.